February 15, 2008

Discipline

Well, I was a nervous wreck earlier in the week because I had 4 papers plus a group parent meeting that I was supposed to speak at on discipline. I had a headache Sunday ~ Wednesday, put I powered through it all and survived! Yesterday I handed in my last paper, and all I wanted to do was to come home and relax and play some Poker. Well, after Dinner at Bennigans with the family, I was exhausted and mentally spent. I had a glass a wine while playing poker with Jeff & Eli, and lost a the ability to concentrate. All I wanted to do was go to sleep, sorry Jeff...... We had a good Valentine's Day though. The kids were good, for the most part at dinner, and we came home and gave them our little gifts. We got Ryan some new playdoh, and Lauren some Moonsand. Can I just say that if anyone is considering buying moonsand for their children, DON'T DON'T DON'T!!!!! It was a HUGE mess and as Lauren said, "It is not as much fun as it looks on the TV."
for the parent group I did, I had a lot of fun. I was nervous of course, but calm at the same time. I think because Discipline is always something I've had a interest in and off course because I have 2 children of my own. We played a Bingo game while going over some simple discipline techniques. After I was done, everyone was asking for my advice on what to do for different situations. I felt like that was the place I was supposed to be. I enjoyed talking with them and listening to their stories. We were all talking so much, that the Family service worker finally had to break it up so she could finish up the meeting. I really want to start doing some research into group and family therapy. I alwasys thought I wanted to work with children, but know I am realizing that I can't help the children if I don't help the parents and the families first! I think I might have found my calling. I am of course still considering school social work, but I think for the wrong reasons. Of course, it has the best hours and you get the summers off, but being a social worker in a school district, you are pretty much a little fish in a big pond. You are surrounded by teacher and other school staff. You don't have any other social workers to communicate with. So, I am happy right were I am right now.

1 comment:

~Mrs. DCS RN~ said...

I am so happy you are finding your way! You'll be great in anything you do. You have always been the one to succeed at whatever you set your mind to! I'm so proud of my big sister! XOXO